Friday, February 20, 2009

Today's Awakening

This morning I suddenly awoke thinking that the doorbell had rung. So I bolted out of bed thinking that it was my friend Amy who was coming over this morning before work to bring a life-sized cardboard cut-out of Edward Cullen. He was going to be part of the decor for Adrianna's birthday party which was scheduled later in the day. As I jumped out of bed I looked around--well actually felt around since I didn't have my contacts in and my glasses are broken--for my robe so I could run and answer the door. I couldn't find/feel it anywhere so I ran to the front door and turned on the porch light so that she would know that at least someone was alive. Then I ran back into the bedroom to find something suitable to answer the door in. Finally I found something to put on and rushed back to the door. Opened the door to discover there was NO ONE there. Turned off the porch light and opened the door again--don't know why, maybe I thought she was afraid of the light--my thought processes aren't too clear early in the morning. I still didn't have my contacts in or glasses on. I couldn't see anyone except that fleetingly, way in front of my actual field of vision I did see a shape flit by. (cue Twilight Zone music here) This shape could have been a dog, a jogger, a vampire, a phantom doorbell ringer or something totally different. So in my puzzlement I just shut the door, locked it, and went of course, back to bed. That was when I looked at the clock in the bedroom and realized it was only 6:20 a.m.! Even Amy isn't that much of an early bird! I wonder what exactly it was that woke me out of a sound sleep. I also wonder if I scared some poor jogger who was out running in the dark, minding his/her own business when on came a light and a crazy-looking and confused sort of woman looked squintingly out her front door. I hope I don't repeat this morning start again!

p.s. in case you are wondering I found my robe--much later in the day--in the laundry room closet where I had hung it yesterday after washing it so it could finish drying.

p.p.s. Amy came about an hour later with Edward--so what was the the phantom door bell? Real or imagined? And what was it that flitted out beyond my limited field of vision? (cue Twilight Zone music again)

2 comments:

Kimber Uluave said...

I am laughing so hard right now. Someday I will tell you a story about me and my mom when my mom didn't have her glasses on. Until then...

Dan and Rebekah said...

I think that I am one of the few people who truly understands what you mean when you say that you couldn't tell what you saw. We are both BLIND!!! Thanks Dad for the great eye genes! :)