In case you don't know, I am totally fascinated by the sport of mountain climbing and those who do it. I have no desire to climb a mountain with ropes, ladders laid across crevasses, pitons, ice axes, or any of that stuff, but I am in awe of those who do. My brother David is a mountain climber and a "trail runner." In case you don't know, "trail runners" run on trails up and down mountains in all kinds of weather. And David does 50 milers just for fun. Maybe you can see where this is going, call me innocent (or dumb) but I couldn't. Earlier this summer David and I were talking about mountains and he asked me if I'd like to hike Mount Timpanogos with him. He told me it was a "moderate hike" that should take us about eight hours to go up and back on a nice trail.
He "forgot" to tell me that this hike was about 20 miles long. I told him I thought it would be great and he assured me it wouldn't require any special equipment. I told him I needed a little time to get into better shape and we set a date for mid-August. I dutifully started walking and then when our neighborhood pool opened I started swimming thinking this would be plenty of exercise for our little hike. So, feeling pretty prepared on Saturday August 16th Adrianna and I met David at the mouth of American Fork Canyon to start our adventure. I had convinced Adrianna this would be a fun adventure too.
this is us at the beginning of the adventure!
I won't go into all the painful details, but suffice it to say that my idea of "moderate" and David's are poles apart. We only got about half-way to the top and decided to head back down (so I wouldn't have to be rescued by a helicopter when I collapsed of exhaustion or something worse!) By the time I had driven home my body had stiffened up to the point that I wasn't sure I would be able to get out of the car and walk into the house. I made it! Adrianna had collapsed into a deep sleep within moments of getting into the car and on the road home. I was extremely sore for about three days. Sore in places I expected and then in some I still can't figure out what those muscles had to do with the hiking experience. But, I have recovered and in my less sane moments am even thinking about trying this again--maybe next year--after much more conditioning and maybe doing a couple of "easy" hikes first. It was almost totally worth while because of the gorgeous scenery and wild flowers. Check out these pictures!
this was our "mountain top" as high as we got
David, Buddy and a mountain full of flowers
On the way back Adrianna hadn't had quite enough climbing and so had to find a special rock to climb up!
Just one of many fabulous views--Awe Inspiring!
Buddy probably had the best time of us all!

3 comments:
I think that would be fun. I'm all for getting into a bit better shape and giving a go at it with you, maybe come next June or July???? MAYBE
glad that you made it down. and that you are updating the blog.
20 miles is freakin long! Remind me to never go on a hike with your brother
Post a Comment